Whether you want to liven up a beverage or a plate of pancakes or waffles; simple syrup can help transform ordinary into extraordinary. What I love most about making a simple syrup is the ability to infuse almost any of your favourite ingredients to develop a flavour you and your guests will love and savour.
While I usually favour prosecco based cocktails, I recognize that not everyone else does. Instead, try substituting with a infused vodka-soda or mix the syrup with sparkling water to make it non-alcoholic.
Depending on how runny you want your simple syrup, you can always boil it longer, causing it to reduce and become thicker in consistency. So keep it simple sweethearts and enjoy!
Infused with Blackberry, Mango & Mint Simple Syrup
Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 25 minutes Yields: 1 ½ cups Author: Milk & Marigolds
½ mango, chopped into chunks
340 g (12 oz) of blackberries
10 large mint leaves, roughly torn
1 cup of water
¾ cup of white sugar
1 bottle of prosecco or sparkling wine (or a liquor of your preference)
mint leaves, whole
1. Chop half of the mango into chunks.
2. In a small saucepan, add one cup of water, the mango, blackberries, mint leaves and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Turn heat down and allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes with the lid on.
3. Add in the ¾ cup of white sugar. Stir until it dissolves. Allow 10 minutes to simmer with the lid on.
4. Remove from heat and allow the simple syrup mixture to cool.
5. Strain off the fruit and mint leaves from the liquid. The liquid is your simple syrup. You can keep the fruit as a dessert topping if you wish.
6. Add about 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) to your freshly poured beverage, garnish with mint leaves.
7. Place cooled simple syrup in a air-tight jar in the refrigerator for storing.
Boil down leftover syrup to further thicken it. Then use the thickened syrup on ice-cream, crepes or waffles. Simple syrup can keep up to months in the refrigerator.
Copyright © 2014 . Milk and Marigolds
One thought on “Sparkling Cocktails with Blackberry, Mango & Mint Simple Syrup”
Reblogged this on Alternate Loaves and commented:
With the launch of Alternate Loaves looming celebrations are near at hand. Making and then drinking this divine cocktail is how I intend to mark the occasion. Roll on Saturday!
Bake, bake and away!