Sweet, refreshing and simple to prepare, this beetroot and pear sorbet will leave you feeling satisfied without feeling the guilt. This sorbet is dairy and gluten-free, and is made without any added sugar. No eater’s remorse here!
It wasn’t until a few years ago that beets became a part of my diet. Prior to this, the only beets I knew of came in jars, floating in a vinegary liquid. This did not appeal to me – not one bit. Therefore, when I tasted shredded beetroot at a dinner party for the first time, I was more than delighted.
As much as I do enjoy the occasional pickled cucumber, I couldn’t quite comprehend why someone would choose to overpower and distort the natural beauty and sweetness of a beetroot. Over time, I have come to appreciate the occasional pickled beetroot with savoury dishes. However, I will still reach for the sweetness of a raw beetroot any day over the vinegary ones.
Be sure to generously sprinkle crushed pistachios atop of your sorbet. ♥ Happy puréeing ! xo
Simple Pear & Beetroot Sorbet ~ dairy, gluten & sugar-free!
Prep Time: 20 minutes Serves: 4 – 5 Author: Milk & Marigolds
1½ cups of unsweetened vegan coconut yogurt (or soy or regular Greek-style)
1 large beet, chopped and boiled
2 pears, chopped
2½ tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons of crushed pistachios
*If you prefer the texture of your sorbet to be extra smooth, cook the beet(s) until soft prior to puréeing it in your food processor/blender. For a bit more texture, place chopped, raw beet in the processor uncooked.
* This sorbet is best served after being in the freezer for no more than 2 – 3 hours. If you prefer to eat it at a later time, remove from freezer for up to 30 minutes prior to scooping and serving.
1. Remove skin from beet(s), chop beets and either place in the processor raw or cooked.
2. Place the chopped pears, lemon juice and yogurt in the processor along with the prepared beet.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour mixture into a metal or ceramic dish and cover with aluminum foil. Leave for approximately 2 -3 hours depending on how cold your freezer is. Crush the pistachios, set aside.
5. Use a paddle or ice-cream scoop and generously garnish with crushed pistachios.
6. Enjoy your guilt-free treat!
If you prefer not to use yogurt or vegan yogurt, try adding 2 chopped frozen bananas as a replacement. The frozen banana adds a creamy texture to this delicious dessert.
Copyright © 2014. Milk & Marigolds