Crisp and golden-brown, these gluten-free coconut-battered shrimp are hard to resist!
Dip them in a ready-made seafood dip or in a sweet chili Thai sauce. This recipe is perfect for entertaining and is easy enough to prepare for those whirlwind, weeknight dinners.
What’s my secret to making the shrimp extra coconuty in flavor?
I batter them in finely shredded coconut and then cook them in pure coconut oil. This really enhances the flavor.
I prefer to use organic, raw coconut oil that is pure extra virgin grade. Raw coconut oil can be found in specialty stores or health-food stores.
I have to admit, I’m a real sucker for fried or battered seafood. And yes you can probably guess what my favorite scenes are from the movie Forest Gump. But if I want to start psychoanalyzing myself, this weakness most definitely stems from childhood birthday celebrations and special occasions spent at Red Lobster.
While I have now discovered that Red Lobster isn’t exactly top grade seafood, my vice for fried seafood still exists, only this time it’s of the better quality and gluten-free variety.
Follow this recipe for beautifully crisp coconut shrimp. You won’t be disappointed.
Crispy Coconut Shrimp │ Gluten-Free
Prep Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 10 minutes Yields: 20 Large (jumbo) shrimps
Author: Milk & Marigolds
20 large raw shrimp (ready peeled, deveined, tail on)
2 eggs, beaten
½ teaspoon of sea salt
1 cup of finely shredded organic coconut
¾ cup of brown (or white) rice flour
4 tablespoons of organic, raw coconut oil
1. Defrost the shrimp in the fridge over night to save time (if frozen). Or defrost under cool, running water. Be sure to buy ready-peeled and deveined shrimp if you are looking to save time.
2. In a small mixing bowl, beat two medium-sized eggs.
3. You will need two other mixing bowls. In one, add the rice flour and salt. In the other, add the shredded coconut. In total you will have three bowls.
4. Begin the battering process by dipping the shrimp into the rice flour/salt mixture.
5. Then swiftly dip the shrimp into the bowl of beaten egg.
6. Conclude by emerging the egg coated shrimp into the shredded coconut. Use fingers to help adhere the coconut to the shrimp.
7. In a large frying pan, add the coconut oil. Heat oil on a high heat, watching carefully that it doesn’t burn.
8. Once the oil is hot, add up to half of the shrimp to the pan. It’s more manageable to fry the shrimp in smaller batches. Cook for about 1 minute per side. Both sides should be a light, golden brown.
9. Place cooked shrimps on a plate lined with an absorbent towel.
10. Serve with your favorite dip or with lemon wedges.
Add a sprinkle of Cajun powder or cayenne pepper to the flour mixture for a little heat!
Copyright © 2014. Milk & Marigolds
6 thoughts on “Crispy Coconut Shrimp │ Gluten-Free”
Must try this weekend, looks and sounds absolutely delicious
Looks delicious! I love coconut shrimp:) i am saving this recipe for later!
Oh my, they look so yummy! I will try this recipe for sure 🙂 I like your photos by the way!
Thanks for stopping by! I have to admit, they are quite delicious! Thanks for the kind comments. On my way to visit your right site now 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
I like the “on my way to visit” 😀 and thank you for visiting my blog!
This recipe looks delish and so easy. I would sub coconut flour for the rice flour though. These will definitely be on the menu next dinner party. 😄